torstai 22. tammikuuta 2009

Backend hardware and OS

My home control is based on self-written event-driven rule-based engine, communicating with tens of microcontroller based nodes using CAN. It's windows application that runs as a service.

For hardware I have selected S635F Fanless MiniPC, with 2G memory and 60 GB SATA flash SSD.

I'm running Windows Server 2003 Web Edition. Security has been hardened as it's sitting in internet, behind a firewall of course. It provides mobile and web UI to monitor and control home equipments.

DR-log:
Question : What OS?
Alternative 1 Windows
+ I have more knowlegde programming windows
+ Yubikey needs interactive application, not "system level" application. I know how to capture keystrokes robustly under windows
- Need to constant security updates
Alternative 2 Linux
+ Considered more robust OS
+ Could be run on lower resources
Comments : I just know windows better and it has never failed since 2004 when I started to run SmartPirtti.
Decision #1 : Windows

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti